Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 27 - Our last full day at OIMB, and my last posting from OIMB for MBFE 2013

The day started fairly early.  Seven of the nine remaining members of the MBFE gathered after breakfast to go to the South Slough National Estuary Research Reserve (SSNERR).  We hopped into my van, I turned the key, the dashboard lights dimmed and I heard that sickening buzz that happens when the battery is dead. Sigh.  I sent them on in other vehicles to the SSNERR to go on an interpretive canoe outing while I stayed here and spent my morning with the good people at the local dealership.

In the meantime Elysa and Mackenzie (who didn't go to SSNERR this morning) rinsed out the MBFE buckets, wiped down the lab table tops, and generally tidied up around the lab.  Thanks!

The SSNERR group reported a fantastic experience upon their return to OIMB.  They said that they gained an increased appreciation for estuaries and wetlands and their ecological roles.  I will try to take advantage of that experience for future MBFE groups.

I was walking back toward my cottage after lunch and noticed hummingbirds zipping around a group of flowering bushes, so I grabbed by camera, wondering if I'd be able to catch any of them on "film"...yeah, I know we don't really use film any more, but you know what I mean.

Rufous Hummingbird (female)
OIMB Campus, Charleston, OR
(c) 2013 Alan Holyoak

This afternoon students worked on tidying things up, worked on manuscripts, and then around 4p a volleyball game broke out. It included BYU-Idaho and U Oregon students.

 L-R: Lindsey, Tony, Daniel, UO student, UO student, Bailey, Jessica, Kristin, Dallas

While the game was going on I slipped into the lab and packed up most of our gear.  It's a happy and sad thing to be saying goodbye to OIMB.



We had one last official class activity.  We attended the OIMB Public Seminar for their semester.  It was given by Dr. Richard Feely, Senior Research Scientist, NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration).  Dr. Feely is a chemical oceanographer who is recognized as a world authority on the topic of ocean acidification, and is a co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his work with the IPCC.  He gave a great talk.

Dr.Richard Feely before the OIMB Friday Public Seminar.

Now all there is to do is load up and head back home.

As I write this last posting from OIMB I want everyone out there to know that each member of the BYU-Idaho MBFE class pulled their weight, worked hard and well, and made this a pleasant experience for everyone in our group and at OIMB.  I talked with Dr. Craig Young, OIMB lab director, this evening and he told me that everybody at the lab from faculty to students and staff had nothing but good things to say about our group.

Tomorrow the rest of the group heads home, except for Lindsey who catches a flight on Sunday.

I want to thank everyone in this first MBFE for your dedication, hard work, willingness to get along and make things work, and for your patience at the somewhat loose schedule that a first offering of an experience like this unavoidably includes.  I look forward to receiving and reviewing each research manuscript, exam, and slide set, and to seeing what you end up doing in your professional lives.

Thanks again!  -- Dr. Holyoak

No comments:

Post a Comment